Friday, May 16, 2008

First week over

Today went much better than yesterday. The children were in a good mood and pleased with everything. When I arrived, they were having breakfast of buttered rolls and coffee. It would have made a great photo of the three little boys sitting in a row eating breakfast, but I forgot to put the memory stick back in my camera after downloading yesterday's picture.

They really enjoy coloring. Davi wanted me to draw pictures of all the animals he knew. And Felipe practiced animal names and finding them in the books. We played ball and generally had a good time. Until lunch. Nobody liked lunch. Who thinks kids will eat fish? More laundry again today.

Yesterday I got an email from one of my fellow volunteers from the last trip, with a message for Chiquinha. I actually managed to convey it well enough in Portuguese that she understood what I said.

Traffic seems to be much worse than before. We are taking a different route because of the other volunteer assignments and the roads are horrendous. Our driver, Moises, is very good. But nobody obeys the lights, drives in their lane or seems to follow any rules that I can see. We have very near collisions at least five times each trip in the van. I read in this morning's paper that traffic accidents have significantly increased in Salvador since this time last year. I've even been getting motion sickness from the rough roads -something I've never had a problem with.

Larry is quite late in arriving, so it remains to be seen if we will make it to Praia do Forte this afternoon as planned.
Judy

No comments: